Thursday, October 2, 2014

Meet "Mompreneur" Linda Henderson!

Behind every successful business is a dreamer, someone who goes above and beyond to help the business succeed. Someone who, regardless of the twists and turns they're faced with, continuously breathes life into their business. For Ornaments for Keeps, that person is the one and only Linda Henderson! Linda is the true embodiment of Christmas spirit, and we're lucky to have her as the driving force behind Ornaments for Keeps! We hope you'll enjoy this opportunity to get to know her as much as she enjoys designing customized Christmas ornaments for you.

What was your inspiration behind Ornaments for Keeps?
Ornaments for Keeps was started as a "mompreneur" business so I could be a stay-at-home mom with my kids and also be creative. I have always had a love for personalized Christmas ornaments of my own, so this was a perfect fit! I enjoy helping my customers create wonderful memories and traditions with my ornaments.


How long have you lived in Jefferson City, Missouri?
In 1981, we moved to Jefferson City to follow my husband's job. We were only supposed to be here for a couple of years, but we loved the beautiful, scenic Capitol City and the smaller town feel. We decided it would be a great place to raise a family. 

Where did you go to school? 
I was born and raised in Troy, Missouri. After high school, I attended Hannibal LaGrange College and received my Associate of Arts degree in Business. I continued my education at Columbia College, where I studied business with an emphasis in accounting. After my children were in school, I worked for Missouri Department of Transportation and continued to run Ornaments for Keeps. In 2010, I retired from MoDot and was able to devote all of my time to my business again. I enjoy getting up every day and doing what I LOVE!

Who is your family? Do you have any pets?
I would like to introduce you to my husband, Keith. In 2004, he retired from the Army after 26 years in the service. He is a great supporter of my business! He wears many hats - cookie cutter maker, head of sales, head of shipping, and -sometimes - even assistant ornament painter! Our daughter Kim joined the business in 2011 and has also been a wonderful addition. She helps create the ornaments, works with our social media, and handles the website. Fun fact: Kim was born on Christmas Day; how funny is it that she now works in a Christmas business? Our other daughter, Kayla, has four children who keep her very busy, but we hope she will join the business soon. The four grandchildren are the light of our lives. We love spending time with them and attending all of their sporting events. We also have two granddogs that we love to watch!

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I have many favorite traditions. Making homemade caramels, making and decorating sugar cookies, setting up the toy train around the Christmas tree with my grandchildren, going to church on Christmas Eve, having Christmas dinner with my family... I could go on and on!

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I love spending time at our small lake home. Being on the water is so peaceful and relaxing. I also love spending time with my children and grandchildren, and I love reading a good book. Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to feel the pages of a good book going through my fingers!

What is your dream vacation destination?
I love to travel and explore new places. After the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, we cross one place off of our bucket list. My list is long - and normally involves a beautiful beach!

What is your favorite part about your job?
I love the actual process of creating an ornament - feeling of the bread dough in my hands, letting my mind and hands go, and seeing what forms. I also love going to a show and hearing people's reactions to my work. It's very satisfying!

What is the number one item on your Christmas list this year?
At my age, I have all the things I need. I just pray for health and happiness for my family!


Connect with us for the latest inspired, creative ideas!


Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Google+


Phone: (573) 893-3272
www.ornamentsforkeeps.com

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! What an inspiration you are to so many! Loved reading your Blog this morning! God Bless You and Your Family!

    ReplyDelete